1566 Items Found
Page: 2 of 157
0 Items in Basket »
Previous page Next page
Fabulous Pieces To Be Added This Week & There is Probably Nowhere Else In The World You Can Such Fabulous Wonders

Under one roof, from an Original, Huge, WW2 Shell from A German King Tiger Tank, to an Original Imperial Roman Legionary’s Gladius, to a Museum Quality Samurai Sword by on of the great makers of early Japan. This week we have added and are adding, original, ancient classical edged weapons, from Rome, Carthage, Persia, Greece, and Scandinavia, from fine English collection/s [acquired in the 1990’s or before] including; a 2000 year old gladius from the time of Julius Caesar to Augustus to Nero. A museum grade 1000+ year old Viking chieftain [king] or earl’s [jarl] sword inlaid with knotwork silver inlay. A bronze and iron Archemeanid sword from the time of the Greco-Persian wars of Xerxes the Great against the Spartans at Thermopylae. An Imperial Roman 1st century ring, the type as worn by the Imperial Pretorian Guard with the symbol of a lion, from the time of the Emperors Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius and Nero. A superb 3rd to 4th century BC Falcata sword similar to the Greek Kopis, the sword used by Hannibal’s army in the 2nd Punic War and his invasion of Rome across the Alps, and a 3rd Century Imperial Roman Sword, from the time of Emperor Constantine and the Battle of Cibalae. Plus a remarkable 1066 period Original Norman Iron Four Plate Helmet, [as Seen Depicted in the world famous so-called Bayeux Tapestry] & two early Books, one, an original 5th century Roman treatise on Roman warfare, and 18th Century biography on 18th century Warfare.

Code: 23520

Price
on
Request


Museum Grade Koto Era Samurai Wakazashi Sword B y Master Tadamitsu Circa 1440-1460 Mini Goto Koshirae, With Deep Red Lacquer Saya & Black Silk Binding

With its spectacular suite of beautiful original Edo Mino Goto fittings with tsuba, in shakudo, and pure gold decor of flowers, cricket, catydid and preying mantis. Deep red ishime stone finish lacquer saya, with carved buffalo horn fittings and Mino Goto throat mount. Superb black silk tsuka-ito over fine pure gold decorated menuki. A wonderful Muromachi era blade almost 600 years old, with a superb hamon, in around 95% polish, with gold foil habaki and blade smith shortened tang with its original preserved ‘folded over’ signature inlaid and inserted within the tang. The hamon forms a delightful gunome pattern, mixing with clove (Choji) outline which is slanted generally. The founder of the sword maker school, Tadamitsu in Bizen, is referred in the Shouou period (1288-93) and the oldest existent Tanto by him has the date year, Teiji 3,1364) during the Nanbokucho period, then later generations shows the records of Ouei to Bunmei era (1394-1486) in Muromachi period. The preserved 'folded over' system, that can be seen beautifully done on this blade, in order to preserve the blade smith's signature, was only reserved for the best and most highly revered blades, often of historical significance to the samurai's family. The ancient province of Kibi (of which Bizen was the easternmost region; now Okayama prefecture) possessed excellent ironmaking technology, which helped make Kibi into a powerful state. The region is blessed with all the vital ingredients needed for Japanese sword making: iron sand, water, and charcoal of Japanese red pine, which has excellent thermal efficiency. Research on Japanese swords since the Meiji period has revealed five different features or styles based on the regions in which they were made: Yamashiro (Kyoto prefecture), Yamato (Nara prefecture), Bizen (Okayama prefecture), Sagami (Kanagawa prefecture), and Mino (Gifu prefecture. The characteristic styles of these five regions were passed down from master to disciple and from one region to the next. These are collectively known as Gokaden (five traditions of swordmaking). The province of Bizen was located far from Japan's political center throughout its history, allowing it to prosper regardless of the political state of sovereignty of the day. The most typical Bizen blade has a steel surface grain called itamehada (wooden board grained) with a unique pattern called chōji (clove-shaped) on the blade. This pattern is a feature of Bizen swords and it is what makes Bizen swords special. The Gotō School of sword-fittings makers was founded in the fifteenth century by Gotō Yūjō, who is said to have been patronized by the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimasa (1435–1490). The work of the Gotō masters is characterized by painterly designs carved in high relief on a ground of shakudō (an alloy of copper and gold chemically treated to turn a rich blue-black), finished in nanako (tiny circles punched regularly over the surface to give it a granular appearance) with colorful accents in gold and silver. The succeeding generations of Gotō masters continued to work in these soft metals and concentrated on the smaller sword fittings, such as kozuka (the handle of the small utility knife fitted into a slot on the back of a sword scabbard), kōgai (a skewer-like hairdressing tool carried in the front of the scabbard), and menuki (a pair of grip ornaments secured by the handle wrappings). The production of the stouter sword guards, or tsuba, was left to other masters. While earlier generations had not signed their work, the Gotō masters in about 1600 began to authenticate the work of their predecessors; the attributions usually were engraved on the backs of the pieces themselves. These attributions bear testimony to the keen interest in early sword fittings as status symbols for high-ranking samurai. Overall blade length from base of habaki to tip 21.5 inches long

Code: 23519

Reserved


A Most Rare & Superb Original Roman Legionary's & Cavalryman's Spatha Long Sword, Late 3rd Century

A double-edged spatha sword of the typology of Illerup Wyhl, with excellently preserved long blade, long tang, with triple fullers along its length, parallel cutting edges tapering down towards its point, Fine condition.
The iconographic sources indicate that Roman swords underwent big changes in the later 2nd and 3rd centuries. Longer swords, more popular within Germanic and Celtic cultures, would have been useful for fighting on horseback, but they were soon spread among the infantrymen and massively produced in the Roman workshops, from which they were brought home by many barbarians after mercenary or auxiliary service in Roman army. This, together with the possibility of war booty, explains why the mass of these swords have been found in the territories of the Barbaricum. The graves and the ritual water deposits of the marshy areas of Illerup Adal, Thorsberg, Vimose and many other localities (Simris) have delivered an amount of swords. Illerup has produced fine well-preserved swords, some with rather unusual patterns. Dr. Miks refers to the spathae of the 'lllerup-Wyhl' type I as to a group of blades which in terms of their proportions, dimensions and shape, are probably a mixture of blades of the more classical 'Straubing-Nydam' and 'Lauriacum-Hromowka' types of long Roman swords. They are one of the most complicated category of Late Roman swords and therefore difficult to clearly identify.
The Spatha was first introduced to the Romans by Celtic Mercenaries during the Second Punic War. The Celts would have used weaponry and armour from their homeland, and one of the Celtic weapons would have been the Spatha. Many believe that the Spatha was adopted by the Romans due to contact with Germania, however this is not true.

The earlier gladius sword was gradually replaced by the spatha from the late 2nd to the 3rd century. From the early 3rd century, legionaries and cavalrymen began to wear their swords on the left side, perhaps because the scutum had been abandoned and the spatha had replaced the gladius.

In the imperial period, the Romans adopted the original Greek term, spáthē (σπάθη), as spatha, which still carried the general meaning of any object considered long and flat. Spatha appears first in Pliny and then Seneca with different meanings: a spatula, a metal-working implement, a palm-leaf and so on. There is no hint of any native Roman sword called a spatha.

Referring to an actual sword, the term first appears in the pages of Tacitus with reference to an incident of the early empire. The British king, Caractacus, having rebelled, found himself trapped on a rocky hill, so that if he turned one way he encountered the gladii of the legionaries, and if the other, the spathae of the auxiliaries. There is no indication in Tacitus that they were cavalry.

The next mention of spathae is in the 5th century, by Vegetius, now as a weapon carried by infantry. The term "Roman Iron Age" refers approximately to the time of the Roman Empire in north Europe, which was outside the jurisdiction of the empire, but, judging from the imported Roman artifacts, was influenced by Roman civilization. One source of artifacts from this period are the bogs of Schleswig, Holstein and Denmark. Objects were deliberately broken and thrown into the bog in the belief that they could go with a deceased chief on his voyage to a better place.

A cache of 90 swords was found at Nydam Mose in Denmark in 1858. They were in the form of the spatha and therefore have been classified as "Roman swords". They are dated to the 3rd to 4th centuries. Many connect the Nydam cache with the sword of Beowulf, who was supposed to be a contemporary. See two photos of these in the gallery. Another photo in the gallery is of a depiction of Roman spartha swords, with hilts fashioned in the shape of eagles' heads, in Roman carved statuary (Portrait of the Four Tetrarchs, c. AD 300) in Venice.
This is the typical sword used to great effect, for example at the Battle of Cibalae
The Battle of Cibalae was fought in 316 between the two Roman emperors Constantine I (r. 306–337) and Licinius (r. 308–324). The site of the battle near the town of Cibalae in the Roman province of Pannonia Secunda, was approximately 350 kilometers within the territory of Licinius. Constantine won a resounding victory, despite being outnumbered.
The opposing armies met on the plain between the rivers Sava and Drava near the town of Cibalae. The battle lasted all day. The battle opened with Constantine's forces arrayed in a defile adjacent to mountain slopes. The army of Licinius was stationed on lower ground nearer the town of Cibalae, Licinius took care to secure his flanks. As the infantry of Constantine needed to move forward through broken ground the cavalry was thrown out ahead, to act as a screen. Constantine moved his formation down on to the more open ground and advanced against the awaiting Licinians. Following a period of skirmishing and intense missile fire at a distance, the opposing main bodies of infantry met in close combat and fierce hand-to-hand fighting ensued. This battle of attrition was ended, late in the day, when Constantine personally led a cavalry charge from the right wing of his army. The charge was decisive, Licinius' ranks were broken. As many as 20,000 of Licinius' troops were killed in the hard-fought battle. The surviving cavalry of the defeated army accompanied Licinius when he fled the field under the cover of darkness.

See Bishop, M.C. & Coulston, J.C.N., Roman military equipment, from the Punic wars to the fall of Rome, London, 1993; Miks, C., Studien zur Romischen Schwertbewaffnung in der Kaiserzeit, I-II Banden, Rahden, 2007; D’Amato, R., Roman army Units in the Western Provinces, Oxford, 2019; for very similar specimens see Miks, 2007, n.A146,36,37,43 (Illerup). Accompanied by an expertise by military specialist Dr. D’Amato of University of Ferrara .Blade weight 1.1 kg, 98.5cm (38 3/4"). In the world of collecting early weaponry a sword is defined as it’s blade, it’s hilt was separate often made of vulnerable woods and materials that do not survive the ravages of time. You simply do not often see such rare and iconic original ancient swords used by one of the most famed empires in the world, during the period of one of the greatest eras in classical history, let alone have the opportunity to own one.

Code: 23517

9750.00 GBP


Shortlist item
A Fabulous Historical Revolutionary & Napoleonic Chasseurs Cheval Sabre,

With incredible historical provenence, part of the French war souvenirs from Schloss Langenburg, which is the ancestral seat of the Princes Hohenlohe-Langenburg in Southern Germany, and is today the family home of Princess Saskia and Prince Philipp zu Hohenlohe- Langenburg. The historical arms and armour from the Schloss Langenburg armoury were sold some years ago, and included this fabulous French sword, that was formerly with other weapons cap-tured from the military campaigns of Field Marshal Friedrich Karl Wilhelm, Furst zu Hohenlohe, who served the Habsburg Monarchy, and fought in many campaigns against France. This fabulous and rare French sword was used from the revolution, in the Nile campaign and the Napoleonic wars by the Chasseurs a Cheval. It is mounted absolutely correctly with a blade modelled on the 1781 regulation, with characteristic residual ricasso, gilt-brass hilt of the successive issue type, retaining its original leather-covered grip bound with brass single-strand wire, the blade and the knuckle-guard struck with War Administration acceptance marks, a fasces and a cockerel respectively, and the inner face of the guard with the maker's stamped signature 'Liorard' 92 cm; 36? in blade The fasces and cockerel State acceptance marks were introduced by the Comite de Salut Public in 1793, in place of the marks of military inspectors absent within the revolutionary period. Liorard is recorded as a fourbisseur working at 163, rue de la Verrerie, Paris, in the 18th and 19th century. See M. Petard 1999, pp.122-3, figs. 112a & 112b, pp.180-1, figs. 11 & 17. also Armes Blanches Symbolisme Inscriptions Marquages Fourbousseurs Manufactures by Jean Lhoste and Jean-Jacques Buigne. In 1828, there was the marriage at Kensington Palace of Prince Ernst zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg to Princess Anna Feodora zu Leiningen, the half-sister of the future Queen Victoria. In 1896 Princess Feodora's grandson, Ernst II zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg, married Queen Victoria?s granddaughter Princess Alexandra of Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Princess Alexandra was the third daughter of H.R.H. Prince Alfred, son of Queen Victoria and H.R.H. The Prince Albert, she was also the grand-daughter of Tsar Alexander II of Russia. The family link between the Windsors? and the Hohenlohe-Langenburgs remains a strong one. H.M. The Queen visited Schloss Langenburg during her German State Visit in 1965, together with H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh and his sister, H.R.H. Princess Margarita. The original Mercedes 600 in which they toured is today preserved in the Car Museum at the castle. In 1792, Field Marshal Friedrich Karl Wilhelm, Furst zu Hohenlohe was initially placed in command of the 50,000 Austrian forces in the Upper Rhine Valley. In August, his forces crossed the Rhine by Mannheim, and participated in the bombardment of Thionville, on the Moselle, in early September. Although the invading forces of the allies readily captured Longwy on 23 August and slowly marched on to Verdun, which was even less defensible than Longwy. The Duke of Brunswick now began his march on Paris and approached the defiles of the Argonne. In combination with the Army of Conde and Hessian troops, a portion of his force, 15,000, covered the left (southern) flank of the Prussian advance on Valmy.

As a seasoned and experienced officer, he had been chosen as a mentor for the young Archduke Charles, and the archduke was assigned to his force; they were not at Valmy, but could hear the cannonade. The Duke of Brunswick's force was to engage the northern flank of the French army, called the Army of the Sedan, while Hohenlohe-Kirchberg's force engaged the southern flank (Army of the Metz).

In December 1792, Hohenlohe-Kirchberg's forces defended Trier from the Army of the Moselle so well that its commander, General of Division Pierre de Ruel, marquis de Beurnonville, was removed from his command by his superiors in Paris. On 31 December, Hohenlohe-Kirchberg was awarded the Grand Cross of Military Order of Maria Theresa for his success at Trier.
In May 1793, his forces played a decisive role in the victory at the Battle of Famars. He was appointed as General Quarter Master and Chief of Staff to the Coalition's main army in Flanders, succeeding General Karl Mack. As part of the Belgian Corps under Field Marshal Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld he played a decisive role in the action at Avesnes-le-Sec and later at the Battle of Fleurus (1794). Subsequently, Hohenlohe-Kirchberg commanded a corps on the upper Rhine and was responsible for the recapture of Speyer from the French on 17 September 1794. His second in command was Friedrich Karl Wilhelm, F?rst (prince) zu Hohenlohe-IngelfingenIn [later Field Marshal]. Ijn 1801, Prince Friedrich Karl Wilhelm was appointed Colonel (Inhaber) of 7th Dragoon Regiment. Prior to the Capitulation of Ulm, he, Karl Philipp, Prince of Schwarzenberg, and Archduke Ferdinand d'Este broke out of the French cordon surrounding the city and escaped to Bohemia, hotly pursued by the French cavalry. On the 5th of November, he commanded an Austrian cavalry column at the Battle of D?renstein and a few weeks later, he commanded the Austrian cavalry at the Allied defeat at the Battle of Austerlitz. This wonderful sword has its original wire binding over the original leather grip, it is in very good condition indeed and has an excellent blade. No scabbard.

Code: 22862

4250.00 GBP


Shortlist item
A Simply Magnificent 88mm Round of The German 'King' Tiger Tank of WW2

The 'King' Tiger is one of the most famous, and certainly the rarest of the terrifying German battle panzers. A photo shown in the gallery is of the German Fuhrer, Adolf Hitler, being shown a demonstration of the 'King' Tiger and a comparison of the size of its huge shells that it fired, compared to the much smaller shells of the other German battle tanks, the regular Tigers and Panzers. Of 1500 'King' Tigers ordered by Hitler only 487 were actually constructed and place into combat service, and this quantity was a tiny amount of tanks produced by Germany in WW2 compared to the numbers of the other standard and various Tiger and Panzer tanks produced. Photo 3 in the gallery is the bottom of the shell head. Photo 9 is of the stamping of designated gun the PAK43, and KWK43 stamped on the shell case, the designated cannon used on the 'King' Tiger II. The first use of the Tiger II in combat was in Normandy on 18 July 1944 with the 503rd Heavy Panzer Battalion (schwere Panzerabteilung 503). It was first used on the Eastern Front on 12 August 1944 with schwere PzAbt 501 in the fighting at the Soviets' Baranov bridgehead over the Vistula River. In this action, a single Soviet T-34-85 under the command of Guards Lieutenant Os'kin from the 53rd Guards Tank Brigade knocked out three Tiger Iis by firing at their sides from an ambush position. Later the Tiger II was present at, among others, the Ardennes Offensive, the Soviet offensive into Poland and East Prussia in January 1945, the German offensives in Hungary in 1945, fighting to the east of Berlin at the Seelow Heights in April 1945 and finally within the city of Berlin itself at the very end of the war.
The Sherman-equipped 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards claim they were the first British regiment to knock out a King Tiger, on 8 August 1944, in France. The upgraded 88mm armament used a simply huge shell, much larger than the standard Tiger's 88, and one of the most impressive and rarest of all the shells ever to be seen. The very last of a pair we have been very fortunate to acquire. It is only the fourth example we have had in 45 years, and possibly the very last we may ever see. 45 inches long. With electric primer specfifically used in tanks [not to be mistaken with percussion primers used in artillery pieces] Deact inert and safe, not for export and not for sale to under 18s.

Code: 20406

2650.00 GBP


Shortlist item
Mightier Yet! Every Day More Planes Every Day More Pilots Original WW2

Propaganda poster for the British wartime RAF and the mighty Hurricane. Printed for HM Stationary Office by J. Weiner Ltd London WC1. A propaganda information and recruitment poster. Britain re-created the World War I Ministry of Information for the duration of World War II to generate propaganda to influence the population towards support for the war effort. A wide range of media was employed aimed at local and overseas audiences. Traditional forms such as newspapers and posters were joined by new media including cinema (film), newsreels and radio. A wide range of themes were addressed, fostering hostility to the enemy, support for allies, and specific pro war projects such as conserving metal and growing vegetables. In 1940 in particular, Winston Churchill made many calls for the British to fight on, and for British units to fight until they died rather than submit. His calls for fight to victory inspired a hardening of public opinion. Determination raised the numbers of the Home Guard and inspired a willingness to fight to the last ditch, in a manner rather similar to Japanese determination, and the slogan "You can always take one with you" was used in the grimmest times of the war. British victories were announced to the public for morale purposes, and broadcast to Germany for purposes of undermining morale.

Even during Dunkirk, an optimistic spin was put on how the soldiers were eager to return.

When the U-boat commander Gunther Prien vanished with his submarine U-47, Churchill personally informed the House of Commons, and radio broadcasts to Germany asked, "Where is Prien?" until Germany was forced to acknowledge his loss.

The turn of the war made BBC's war commentaries much more stirring.
Good condition 10 inches x 15 inches

Code: 20863

295.00 GBP


Shortlist item
A Most Beautiful Vintage Telescope Walking Stick 'Gadget Cane'

20th century. Fine gilt in very good condition, case decorated with a stunning faux shagreen finish in torqoise green. Mounted on a silver ferrule attached to a most charming and elegant slender cane. We show a photograph from ITV's Poirot [John Suchet] with Poirot holding his near identical example. There were 1500 patents for gadget canes in America alone. There were once gadget gun canes, sword canes, musical, political, Doctor's compact, perfume, flask, picnic, microscope, fishing pole, scientific instrument, pipe, cigarette holder, vinaigrette, barometer, undertaker, and horse measure. Extends to approximately a x3 magnification, somewhat more effective for impressive amusement rather than efficient service as a monocular.

Code: 21032

650.00 GBP


Shortlist item
A Superb WW2 Kriegsmarine Deluxe Officers Dagger with Hanging Straps

High quality deluxe hammered scabbard version exactly as was used by numerous Admirals in the German Navy of WW2. A near mint example that could likely not be improved upon. The blade is perfectly plain, and curiously that is much scarcer and rarer than the regular etched blade version. The standard scabbard was the lightning bolt type, the deluxe version was hand hammered. The silk and velvet backed straps are mounted with gilded alloy lions head buckles and fittings. A German naval dirk once used by a Kriegsmarine warship and U Boat officer. Original ivorine grip and wire binding, blade in jolly nice condition. The hammered scabbard was initialy first used on the Imperial German Naval Ist pattern dagger of 1902, but was a firm favourite of officers of nobility and status who served in WW2 using this second pattern with the eagle and swastika pommel, and could afford the additional expence. The Kriegsmarine [War Navy] was the name of the Navy of Nazi Germany from 1935 to 1945. It superseded the Imperial German Navy of World War I and the inter-war Reichsmarine. The Kriegsmarine was one of three official branches of the Wehrmacht, the armed forces of Nazi Germany.

The Kriegsmarine grew rapidly during German naval rearmament in the 1930s (the Treaty of Versailles had limited the size of the German navy previously). In January 1939 Plan Z was ordered, calling for the construction of many naval vessels. The ships of the Kriegsmarine fought during the Spanish Civil War and World War II. The Commander-in-Chief of the Kriegsmarine (as for all branches of armed forces during the period of absolute Nazi power) was Adolf Hitler, who exercised his authority through the Oberkommando der Marine.

The Kriegsmarine's most famous ships were the U-boats, most of which were constructed after Plan Z was abandoned at the beginning of World War II. Wolfpacks were rapidly assembled groups of submarines which attacked British convoys during the first half of the Battle of the Atlantic but this tactic was largely abandoned in the second half of the war. Along with the U-boats, surface commerce raiders (including auxiliary cruisers) were used to disrupt Allied shipping in the early years of the war, the most famous of these being the heavy cruisers Graf Spee and Admiral Scheer and the battleship Bismarck. However, the adoption of convoy escorts, especially in the Atlantic, greatly reduced the effectiveness of commerce raiders against convoys.

Code: 21150

1895.00 GBP


Shortlist item
A Huge Medieval Style Pole Or Tiller Gun, Almost Light Cannon Size

1.25 inch bore iron 'cannon form' barrel, with a later carved hardwood tiller bearing a carved Tudor rose. Probably a 17th century gun, and during it's working life it has been stored in the 18th to 19th century in the armoury of Jaipur and bears the storage marks thereon. This type of gun is typical of many surviving from the period 1420 to around 1480. It’s a most sturdy and massive iron barrel made by a blacksmith, on a wooden pole or tiller. Some had a hook on the bottom of the barrel [as does this], which could be used to hook the barrel over the top of a wall or shield, or as a close-quarters weapon. The the late medieval term used was arquebus or harkbuss meaning a hand fired gun..
This gun can be fired by a single person if it is hooked over a wall, or more easily by two people, a gunner and a calinator due to it’s weight. The earlier weapons all rely on putting a lighted match into the touch-hole by hand. The matchlock gun represented a real advance. It held the lighted match on a pivoted trigger lever (known as a serpentine). This allowed the gunner to look at his target where aiming. This style of gun was the highest technology of the medieval era, not widespread until after 1450, and continuing until perhaps 1550, when it grew in length and became the familiar musket of the English civil wars in the 1700’s. Barrel 31.5 inches long, barrel muzzle 2.5 inches across, tiller 18 inches overall 50 inches. As with all our antique guns no license is required as they are all unrestricted antique collectables, barrel bore bears old tamper obstruction.

Code: 20331

1875.00 GBP


Shortlist item
Behemouth 18th Century, Govers of London Napoleonic Wars ‘Martial‘ Ships Blunderbuss

This blunderbuss is a true titan of a hand held gun, formidable, substantial and simply oozing power and presence. No man would fail to tremble at the sight of this gun's muzzle pointed his way. Made from around 1750 to 1780, it is probably the largest size of flintlock that a man could fire from the hip or shoulder without doing personal injury to the user. When on ship it could have had a spigot block added and it would have to have been mounted on a swivel at the side of the ship. This gun has several distinctive features. The lock has the early so-called 'banana' shape and the brass mounts are typically engraved with strawberry leaf influences typical of the 18th century. The side plate is typical Land pattern type, in steel. Originally intended for military or maritime purposes, these arms can be traced to 1598, when Germany's Henrich Thielman applied for a patent for a shoulder arm designed for shipboard use to repel enemy boarders. The blunderbuss quickly became popular with the Dutch and English navies. England's growing maritime power seems to have fuelled production of these short bell-barrel arms, which were useful during close-in engagements between warships by enabling marines clinging to ship's rigging to use them against the gun crews of opposing vessels. The barrels were of steel or brass and the furniture of the blunderbuss were typically made from brass, with stocks most commonly made from walnut. Other, less robust woods were sometimes used, but their tendency to shatter ensured that walnut would remain in widespread use as a stocking material. The blunderbuss played a role during the English Civil War of 1642-48, and these arms were widely used as a personal defence arm in England during the Commonwealth Period. The lack of an organized system of law enforcement at that time, coupled with the growing threat posed by highwaymen, placed the burden of protecting life and property in the hands of honest citizens. Although some blunderbusses bore the royal cipher of the Sovereign, they typically did not feature the Broad Arrow identifying government ownership or the markings of the Board of Ordnance. Several brass- and iron-barrelled blunderbusses were captured from the forces of Lord Cornwallis upon the latter's surrender to the Continental Army at Yorktown, Virginia in the final land campaign of the American Revolution. This may well have been the very kind as used in that engagement. As with all our antique guns no license is required as they are all unrestricted antique collectables. The stock on this gun, during the Georgian period, has been very slightly slimmed at the butt, possibly due to an armourer's field repair in it's working life, and surface wear to the finish. The specific history of this gun and it's makers are as follows; The Govers family of London also had a gunsmith with a shop and trade in Ireland, and this specific gun was last recorded registered and used in Ireland, in County Tyrone, in 1843 and stamped on the gun twice accordingly. This gun has likely seen incredible combat service and shows contemporary field work to the butt plate and stock, just to be expected for gun of this purpose and age. 32.5 inches long, 16.5 inch barrel As with all our antique guns no license is required as they are all unrestricted antique collectables

Code: 21444

3950.00 GBP


Shortlist item
Previous page Next page